The Union League of Philadelphia, founded in 1862, is the # 1 City Club in the country. We have locations in Center City Philadelphia, the Main Line, Northeast Philadelphia, and the Jersey Shore. The League House and our satellite properties are open for our member’s year round. We are looking for motivated and professional individuals, who will provide the finest service possible. At the Union League, we offer a positive, welcoming work environment to all employees.
The ideal candidate for the Union League is an individual who is professional, energetic, hardworking, self-motivated, and polite. Our year round, high paced schedule of events provides a variety of shifts and openings for work. The Union League provides many opportunities for employees to learn, grow, and expand their work experience. We pride ourselves on promoting talent from within our organization.
Job Title: Cook I
Purpose: Prepare lunch, and dinner, food items per guest orders in accordance with production requirements and quality standards while maintaining a safe, sanitary work environment.
1. Prepare cold food items of consistent quality following recipe cards, as well as production, portion, and presentation standards; complete mis en place and setup station for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner service.
2. Start food items that are prepared ahead of time, making sure not prepare beyond estimated needs.
3. Operate, maintain and properly clean kitchen equipment, including deep fryer, broiler, stove, steamer, food processor, mixer, slicer, oven, steam table, tilt kettle, waffle iron, and flat top grill.
4. Date all food containers and rotate as per policies, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures; check pars for shift use, determine necessary preparation, freezer pull and line set up; note any out of stock items or possible shortages; return all food items not used to designated areas, being sure to cover/date perishables; assist in setting up plans and actions to correct any food cost problems; control food waste, loss and usage per policies.
5. Work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors.
6. Assist in prep work of vegetables and condiments as required for next shift.
Knowledge and Skills:
Education: Cooking school or culinary institute or equivalent experience.
Experience: One to three years culinary or related work experience. Basic culinary knowledge is expected for this position. Working knowledge is generally learned on the job.
Skills & Abilities: Ability to operate, maintain and properly clean kitchen equipment.
Bending and lifting required.
Must be able to lift 40+ lbs.
Must be able to stand for entire shift.