The Union League of Philadelphia, founded in 1862, is the # 1 City Club in the country. We have locations in Center City Philadelphia, the Main Line, Northeast Philadelphia, and the Jersey Shore. The League House and our satellite properties are open for our member’s year round. We are looking for motivated and professional individuals, who will provide the finest service possible. At the Union League, we offer a positive, welcoming work environment to all employees.
The ideal candidate for the Union League is an individual who is professional, energetic, hardworking, self-motivated, and polite. Our year round, high paced schedule of events provides a variety of shifts and openings for work. The Union League provides many opportunities for employees to learn, grow, and expand their work experience. We pride ourselves on promoting talent from within our organization.
Job Title: Cook II
Purpose: Prepare breakfast, lunch, dinner, and break food items for banquet functions in accordance with production requirements and quality standards while maintaining a safe, sanitary work environment.
- Prepare food items according to orders of consistent quality following recipe cards, as well as production, portion, and presentation standards; complete mis en place and set-up station for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner service.
- Start food items that are prepared ahead of time, making sure not prepare beyond estimated needs.
- Operate, maintain and properly clean kitchen equipment, including deep fryer, broiler, stove, steamer, food processor, mixer, slicer, oven, steam table, tilt kettle, waffle iron, and flat top grill.
- Date all food containers and rotate as per policies, making sure that all perishables as kept at proper temperatures; check parts to shift use, determine necessary preparation, freezer pull and line set up; note any out-of-stock items or possible shortages; return all food items not used to designated storage areas, being sure to cover/date all perishables; assist in setting up plans and actions to correct and food cost problems; control food waste, loss and usage per policies.
- Comply Category One and Category Two Work Rules and Standards of Conduct.
- Work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors.
Knowledge and Skills:
Education: High school education, cooking school or culinary institute education or equivalent experience.
Experience: Minimum two years culinary or related work experience. Intermediate culinary knowledge is expected fore this position. Working knowledge is generally learned on-the-job.
Skills & Abilities: Ability to operate, maintain and properly clean deep fryer, broiler, stove, steamer, food processor, mixer, slicer, oven, steam table, tilt kettle, waffle iron, flat top grill. Proficient knife skills and ability to multi-task.