The Union League of Philadelphia
Food & Beverage Department
Job Title: Experienced Line Cook
Purpose: Prepare lunch, and dinner, food items per guest orders in accordance with production requirements and quality standards while maintaining a safe, sanitary work environment.
- Prepare cold food items of consistent quality following recipe cards, as well as production, portion, and presentation standards; complete mis en place and setup station for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner service.
- Start food items that are prepared ahead of time, making sure not to prepare beyond estimated needs.
- Operate, maintain and properly clean kitchen equipment, including deep fryer, broiler, stove, steamer, food processor, mixer, slicer, oven, steam table, tilt kettle, waffle iron, and flat top grill.
- Date all food containers and rotate as per policies, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures; check pars for shift use, determine necessary preparation, freezer pull and line set up; note any out of stock items or possible shortages; return all food items not used to designated areas, being sure to cover/date perishables; assist in setting up plans and actions to correct any food cost problems; control food waste, loss and usage per policies.
- Work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors.
- Assist in prep work of vegetables and condiments as required for next shift.
Knowledge and Skills:
Education: Cooking school or culinary institute or equivalent experience.
Experience: Three to five years of culinary or related work experience. Basic culinary knowledge is expected for this position. Working knowledge is generally learned on the job.
Skills & Abilities: Ability to operate, maintain and properly clean kitchen equipment.
Bending and lifting required.
Must be able to lift 40+ lbs.
Must be able to stand for entire shift.