The Union League of Philadelphia, founded in 1862, is the # 1 City Club in the country. We have locations in Center City Philadelphia, the Main Line, Northeast Philadelphia, and the Jersey Shore. The League House and our satellite properties are open for our member’s year round. We are looking for motivated and professional individuals, who will provide the finest service possible. At the Union League, we offer a positive, welcoming work environment to all employees.
The ideal candidate for the Union League Banquet Department is an individual who is professional, energetic, hardworking, self-motivated, and polite. Our year round, high paced schedule of events provides a variety of shifts and openings for work. The Union League provides many opportunities for employees to learn, grow, and expand their work experience. We pride ourselves on promoting talent from within our organization.
POSITION: Banquet Server
REPORTS TO: Director of Banquet Operations, Assistant Director of Banquet Operations, Banquet Managers
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Set up, execute, and breakdown banquet and events according to the details listed on the Private Event Order (PEO).
- Arrive to work in full uniform and ready to go with a positive attitude for the scheduled shift.
- Work as a part of a team to setup, serve, and breakdown banquet events according to the standard operating procedures (SOP) set by the Union League.
- Provide a warm welcome with a smile and professional attitude for members, clients, and guests.
- Execute different banquet functions including, but not limited to, breakfast, brunch, meetings, lunch, cocktail reception, buffets, and dinners.
- Ensure the room is completely set and ready to go 15 minutes prior to the event start time.
- Learn and execute the Banquet sequence of service and proper serving techniques.
- Complete all opening and closing side work assigned for the scheduled shift.
- Advise supervisor of any member, client, or guest special requests and/or complaints as soon as they occur.
- Ensure all clean linen is put away properly, folded or hung in the linen room. Also, ensure that all soiled linen is placed in the proper linen bags and brought to the sub-basement.
- Stock all pantries and refrigerators with dry or wet supplies as required by the par list.
- Perform all other functions as required by management.
- Ability to work 3 – 5 hours at a time without a break
- Bending and lifting Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and push up to 250 lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to present, open, and serve wine to guests
- Knowledge of all banquet equipment including, but not limited to, linens, chafers, urns, glassware, flatware, coffee machines, etc.
- Ability to carry a football tray with 8 platters on it
- Ability to lift and carry a football tray with glassware, flatware, and china
LICENSES AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS – Preferred
MANDATORY WORK DAYS INCLUDE (But are not limited to):
- New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Mother’s Day, Easter, Fall Ball (1st Saturday in November), Thanksgiving, Family Christmas (1st Sunday in December)